TradSound exists to share information, experiences, techniques about people using intelligence, acoustics and audio equipment to optimally reinforce voices and instruments at community trad music events, including dances, concerts and festivals.
Most of our subscribers are audio techs, though we also welcome interested musicians, singers, callers, organizers, dancers and listeners.
We discuss a wide variety of topics including:
- Basic electrical concepts
- People skills
- Venue acoustics
- Audio equipment from microphones to mixers to speakers and everything in between
- Working with a variety of voices and musical instruments and the sounds they produce
We are successful when subscribers have the tools they need to do good sound with a variety of inputs, in venues with good or challenging acoustics, with minimal to excellent audio equipment.
We want this forum to be simple and effective, all suggestions for improvement appreciated. The value of this list is in direct proportion to what you contribute!
– Weogo Reed, list founder
From Weogo Reed (list founder): In 1998 FolkSound started as Contra Sound Forum, or ContraSF, as several folks sharing e-mails. This quickly grew cumbersome and the list was then hosted on a couple different e-mail servers before settling at YahooGroups for many years.
The list moderator (manager) is: Weogo Reed.
You can subscribe to the trad callers list in one of two ways:
- Signing up for a Shared Weight account prior to subscribing.
- Subscribing without creating an account.
Creating an account takes a few more steps but they are quick and having an account has definite advantages:
- You can manage your Shared Weight messages (e.g., sign up to receive the digest version – helpful if you want to limit the number of emails in your inbox).
- The ECD list archives (a VERY helpful resource!) are only accessible through logging in with your account.
Follow these steps to subscribe with an account:
- Visit https://lists.sharedweight.net/postorius/lists/
- Click ‘Sign Up’ in the top right corner. Then follow the instructions to create an account. Note –> your username can’t have a space.
- Check your email inbox and follow the instructions in the confirmation email. This will lead you to the login page.
- Once you are logged in, click on the list you want to join and then click ‘Subscribe’.
Note -> You can use the same account to subscribe to more than one list!
Add your email address. We highly recommend that you also add your name – the Shared Weight lists are a supportive community and it’s good for folks to know who you are!
- Click subscribe.
- One you have a Shared Weight account and have subscribed to the list(s), you can manage your settings. Check out our technical FAQ page.
- Go to https://lists.sharedweight.net/postorius/lists/tradsound.lists.sharedweight.net/
- Add your email address. We highly recommend that you also add your name – the Shared Weight lists are a supportive community and it’s good for folks to know who you are!
- Click Subscribe.
- Check your email inbox and follow the instructions in the confirmation email.
If you have questions about joining, email the moderator – Weogo Reed.
The tradsound archive is private (i.e., only accessible to those subscribed to the list).
If you are a list member, you can access the archive by visiting this link.