This mailing list welcomes dance musicians and those interested in dance music for any form of traditional social dance. This includes contra, English country, traditional squares (e.g., Appalachian, New England, Quebecois, Cape Breton, etc), community/family/barn, ceili, Balfolk, and more!
Our goal is to support each other by:
- Asking and answering questions that are of interest to dance musicians.
- Discussing issues that come up as dance musicians.
- Sharing resources that are helpful to dance musicians.
- Plan and announce caller gatherings and learning opportunities.
We discuss a wide variety of topics – the following are just a few examples to give you a taste!
- Sharing notation for particular tunes
- How to communicate among band members.
- Discussion around reading tunes on stage or not
- Sharing new resources that come out for musicians (e.g., websites; books; etc)
New dance musicians are especially encouraged to send questions to the group and learn from those with more experience -> we all started as beginners and even experienced musicians have lots to learn!
– Seth Seeger & Chris Weiler, list founders
From Seth Seeger & Chris Weiler (list founders): After a wonderful callers workshop at CDSS’s Pinewoods American Week in 2004, we decided that we wanted to try to keep the class going on in some way. We hoped that we could still draw on the support from Tom Hinds and the other experienced callers as well as their knowledge. To that end, we created the callers e-mail discussion group to discuss contra and traditional square dance calling.
With the callers list well established and a wonderful community built, we felt that it was time to expand the mission of SharedWeight to the other aspects of producing a traditional contra or square dance. We then added mailing lists for organizers and musicians to support each other and help those new to their roles grow and thrive. As organizers and musicians ourselves now, now, we hope to create similar places to the callers’ list where learning and discussion is encouraged.
The current list champions are: Meg Dedolph, Jeff Kaufman, and Erik Hoffman.
List champions actively support the list by promoting its existence and encouraging conversation. If you would like to become a list champion, reach out to Chris and Seth.
You can subscribe to the dance musicians list in one of two ways:
- Signing up for a Shared Weight account prior to subscribing.
- Subscribing without creating an account.
Creating an account takes a few more steps but they are quick and having an account has definite advantages. This includes that you can manage your Shared Weight messages (e.g., sign up to receive the digest version – helpful if you want to limit the number of emails in your inbox)
Follow these steps to subscribe with an account:
- Visit https://lists.sharedweight.net/postorius/lists/
- Click ‘Sign Up’ in the top right corner. Then follow the instructions to create an account. Note –> your username can’t have a space.
- Check your email inbox and follow the instructions in the confirmation email. This will lead you to the login page.
- Once you are logged in, click on the list you want to join and then click ‘Subscribe’.
Note -> You can use the same account to subscribe to more than one list!
Add your email address. We highly recommend that you also add your name – the Shared Weight lists are a supportive community and it’s good for folks to know who you are!
- Click subscribe.
- One you have a Shared Weight account and have subscribed to the list(s), you can manage your settings. Check out our technical FAQ page.
- Go to https://lists.sharedweight.net/postorius/lists/musicians.lists.sharedweight.net/
- Add your email address. We highly recommend that you also add your name – the Shared Weight lists are a supportive community and it’s good for folks to know who you are!
- Click Subscribe.
- Check your email inbox and follow the instructions in the confirmation email.
The dance musicians archive is public.
You can view past posts by visiting this link.