Trad Callers is a discussion list with wide-ranging interests. We welcome callers from any interested in community dances, dancing for children, one-night stands, traditional squares, and other forms outside the contra dance and ECD realm.
This list is great for anyone interested in calling at:
- Dances in elementary and secondary schools or settings with young dancers
- Barn dances, community dances, and family dances
- Dance parties: Birthdays, weddings, father/daughter, any kind of dance for non-dancers
- Square dances: new trad-style squares, singing squares, modern western from the ‘50s, Appalachian, etc. —> Special Note: This list was started to focus on squares and there are lots of traditional and MWSD callers on the list!
- Dances from other traditions (e.g., ceilidh dances)
We discuss a wide variety of topics including:
- Dance Leadership: Advice, ‘cheap tricks’, encouragement and feedback
- Dances: Concepts and choreography
- Dances: Ideas for programs that will work specific kinds of dancers/non-dancers
- Tools and Techniques: Dealing with challenging situations
- Music: Working with musicians; working with recordings
- Business Matters: Billing, contracts and dealing with the folks who hire you
- Identification of Dances: Name and author questions
- Anecdotes: Can you believe this happened?
- Dance history
- Friendly, Slightly Off-Topic Conversation
-Ridge Kennedy, list founder