This space is for discussion of traditional dance (contra, ECD, community, square, family dance) changed for virtual spaces or distanced choreography during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our goal is to support each other by:
- Asking and answering questions of interest to choreographers.
- Changing the way we think about traditional contra, ECD, and square choreography.
- Thinking about physically distanced dances.
- Discussing and testing solo, two-person, and small set choreography.
We discuss a wide variety of topics – the following are just a few examples:
- Does this dance work over zoom?
- How would you write a dance for people that are 6′ apart?
- How do you handle calling dances for solo as well as couples at the same time?
- What do you do with brand new dancers at virtual dances?
Who is welcome: Callers and choreographers of contra, ECD, community dance, square dance, family dance, Morris dance, and other folk traditions are especially welcome. Members of this agree to abide by the Shared Weight list standards of discourse and are opposed to name calling and hurtful, disrespectful, or aggressive language. If you find those standards burdensome, this is not the right space for you.
– Seth Tepfer, Group Administrator