This space is for discussion of traditional dance (contra, ECD, community, square, family dance) changed for virtual spaces or distanced choreography during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our goal is to support each other by:
- Asking and answering questions of interest to choreographers.
- Changing the way we think about traditional contra, ECD, and square choreography.
- Thinking about physically distanced dances.
- Discussing and testing solo, two-person, and small set choreography.
We discuss a wide variety of topics – the following are just a few examples:
- Does this dance work over zoom?
- How would you write a dance for people that are 6′ apart?
- How do you handle calling dances for solo as well as couples at the same time?
- What do you do with brand new dancers at virtual dances?
Who is welcome: Callers and choreographers of contra, ECD, community dance, square dance, family dance, Morris dance, and other folk traditions are especially welcome. Members of this agree to abide by the Shared Weight list standards of discourse and are opposed to name calling and hurtful, disrespectful, or aggressive language. If you find those standards burdensome, this is not the right space for you.
– Seth Tepfer, Group Administrator
This list was created in response to COVID-19 by dance callers and choreographers who wanted to find alternative ways to remain connected and dance together.
The list moderator/admin is Seth Tepfer.
Additionally, Claire Takemori is a list champion.
List champions actively support the list by promoting its existence and encouraging conversation. If you would like to become a list champion, reach out to Seth.
You can subscribe to the list in one of two ways:
- Signing up for a Shared Weight account prior to subscribing.
- Subscribing without creating an account.
Creating an account takes a few more steps but they are quick and having an account has definite advantages. This includes that you can manage your Shared Weight messages (e.g., sign up to receive the digest version – helpful if you want to limit the number of emails in your inbox)
Follow these steps to subscribe with an account:
- Visit https://lists.sharedweight.net/postorius/lists/
- Click ‘Sign Up’ in the top right corner. Then follow the instructions to create an account. Note –> your username can’t have a space.
- Check your email inbox and follow the instructions in the confirmation email. This will lead you to the login page.
- Once you are logged in, click on the list you want to join and then click ‘Subscribe’.
Note -> You can use the same account to subscribe to more than one list!
Add your email address. We highly recommend that you also add your name – the Shared Weight lists are a supportive community and it’s good for folks to know who you are!
- Click subscribe.
- One you have a Shared Weight account and have subscribed to the list(s), you can manage your settings. Check out our technical FAQ page.
Follow these steps to subscribe without an account:
If you have questions about joining, email the moderator – Seth Tepfer.
The altchoreo archive is private.
If you are a list member, you can access the archive by visiting this link.
If you have technical questions about how the list works, please check out the technical FAQ page. If you still haven’t found the answer to your question, email the list moderator – Seth Tepfer.