Growing up Trad! is an email discussion list for caregiving adults who love traditional dance, music and song. The focus of our conversation is around nurturing these traditions within our families and in particular with the children in our care.
We are dancers, singers, callers, musicians, and/or lovers of the traditions. We are seeking ways to network with others so that our children can have increased opportunities to engage in our shared traditions, especially if we are isolated in our local communities and have few kindred spirits.
We welcome parents, grandparents, and anyone else interested in discussing how to encourage the love of traditional dance, music, and song among children in their families. We also hope that this online community will help children and families prepare for connecting in person over time as we are able to meet locally, regionally, and beyond.
We discuss a wide variety of topics – the following are just a few examples:
- Songs, dances, and tunes we can easily teach/share with our children.
- Creative ideas on how to engage our kids in traditional dance and music.
- Videos, books, or other resources that are accessible and of interest to children of various ages
- Learning opportunities for children (e.g., online workshops)
- Opportunities for families to connect at traditional dance, music, and song events
- Anecdotes – A great story from your family!
- Friendly, slightly off-topic conversation
Please note that while we may share resources, information, and encouragement, this list is a community discussion space. (It’s not for promoting individual services.)
We hope you will join us!
-Emily Addison, List Administrator
This list was prompted by the isolation felt during COVID-19 and the interest of parents wanting to connect to support each other.
The list moderator/admin is Emily Addison.
List champions actively support the list by promoting its existence and encouraging conversation. If you would like to become a list champion, please reach out to Emily.
You can subscribe to the list in one of two ways:
- Signing up for a Shared Weight account prior to subscribing.
- Subscribing without creating an account.
Creating an account takes a few more steps but they are quick and having an account has definite advantages. This includes that you can manage your Shared Weight messages (e.g., sign up to receive the digest version – helpful if you want to limit the number of emails in your inbox).
Follow these steps to subscribe without an account:
Follow these steps to subscribe with an account:
- Visit https://lists.sharedweight.net/postorius/lists/
- Click ‘Sign Up’ in the top right corner. Then follow the instructions to create an account. Note –> your username can’t have a space.
- Check your email inbox and follow the instructions in the confirmation email. This will lead you to the login page.
- Once you are logged in, click on the list you want to join and then click ‘Subscribe’.
Note -> You can use the same account to subscribe to more than one list!
Add your email address. We highly recommend that you also add your name – the Shared Weight lists are a supportive community and it’s good for folks to know who you are!
- Click subscribe.
- One you have a Shared Weight account and have subscribed to the list(s), you can manage your settings. Check out our technical FAQ page.
If you have questions about joining, email the moderator – Emily Addison.
The Growing Up Trad! archive is private.
If you are a list member, you can access the archive by visiting this link.
If you have technical questions about how the list works, please check out the technical FAQ page. If you still haven’t found the answer to your question, email the list moderator – Emily Addison.