Growing Up Trad!
Growing up Trad! is an email discussion list for caregiving adults who love traditional dance, music and song. The focus of our conversation is around nurturing these traditions within our families and in particular with the children in our care.
We are dancers, singers, callers, musicians, and/or lovers of the traditions. We are seeking ways to network with others so that our children can have increased opportunities to engage in our shared traditions, especially if we are isolated in our local communities and have few kindred spirits.
We welcome parents, grandparents, and anyone else interested in discussing how to encourage the love of traditional dance, music, and song among children in their families. We also hope that this online community will help children and families prepare for connecting in person over time as we are able to meet locally, regionally, and beyond.
We discuss a wide variety of topics – the following are just a few examples:
- Songs, dances, and tunes we can easily teach/share with our children.
- Creative ideas on how to engage our kids in traditional dance and music.
- Videos, books, or other resources that are accessible and of interest to children of various ages
- Learning opportunities for children (e.g., online workshops)
- Opportunities for families to connect at traditional dance, music, and song events
- Anecdotes – A great story from your family!
- Friendly, slightly off-topic conversation
Please note that while we may share resources, information, and encouragement, this list is a community discussion space. (It’s not for promoting individual services.)
We hope you will join us!
-Emily Addison, List Administrator