Shared Weight is excited to announce a brand-new list for song organizers!
We invite anyone who is interested or experienced in organizing any form of participatory song session or event to join this email discussion group. Session types can include pub sings, shanty/chantey sings, ballad swaps, worksonging, protest songs, all-school sings, camp singalongs, and more.
Our goal is to support each other by:
- Asking and answering questions that are of interest to song organizers.
- Discussing issues that come up in our singing communities.
- Sharing resources that are helpful in organizing song events.
- Planning and announcing gatherings for song organizers.
- Note: This list is not for promoting local sings.
We discuss a wide variety of topics, including but not limited to:
- Making your song session or event welcoming, accessible, and inclusive
- Meeting the needs of a wide range of singers, from those who lack confidence and experience, to those whose strong voices and robust repertoire may overshadow quieter participants
- Encouraging socially appropriate content and behavior
- Addressing challenging situations
- Pros and cons of different styles of facilitation
- Tips for starting a new song session or planning a song-focused event
- Building your singing community and keep it strong
New organizers are encouraged to ask questions of the group, share joys and frustrations, and seek support from others with relevant experience. Experienced organizers are invited to share their song session’s norms and customs, describe lessons they have learned through personal experience, and spark interesting discussions with informed questions and observations. No matter how long we’ve been at this, we all have something to learn from each other!