This mailing list welcomes contra dance callers and people who are interested in learning about calling for contra dances.
Our goal is to support each other by:
- Asking and answering questions that are of interest to contra dance callers.
- Discussing issues that come up as callers.
- Sharing resources that are helpful in calling for contra dances
- Plan and announce caller gatherings and learning opportunities.
We discuss a wide variety of topics – the following are just a few examples to give you a taste!
- Sharing individual dances and asking for help identifying dances.
- How to effectively teach certain dance figures.
- Calling for different audiences (e.g., visually impared; a room full of brand new dancers)
- Sharing new resources that come out for callers (e.g., websites; books; etc)
New callers are especially encouraged to send questions to the group and learn from those with more experience -> we all started as beginners and even experienced callers have lots to learn!
Special Note: This list welcomes occasional discussion relating to other dance traditions. However, Shared weight has two other lists that you might be interested in as a caller.
- The tradcallers list focuses on traditional squares, community/barn dances and other trad dance forms outside the contra dance and ECD realm. (This includes teaching in schools and other settings with youth.)
- The ECD list includes conversation about calling for English Country Dance.
– Seth Seeger & Chris Weiler, list founders